Legendary graffiti artist Futura (known in the previous century as Futura 2000, just to give you an idea of how long this guy’s been around) will be making an appearance from 4-7pm at Spec’s Liquor Megastore in Houston on August 24, sponsored by Hennessey, which has commissioned a limited edition bottle. An illegal graffiti writer in his teens, Futura (aka Leonard McGurr) was one of the first generation of street artists co-opted by the high art world as gallery artists; the bursting of the graffiti-art bubble in the 80’s left Futura, who had failed to die like Keith Haring or enter the upper levels of the museums/auction house world like Basquiat, looking to refashion his career: he’s come out the other side as an unimaginable ancient hero to the worldwide confraternity of urban artists, making him surprisingly, one of the most influential artists of the past half century.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015