Smither Park, the new folky-art mecca under construction next door to the Orange Show, is making progress. Visionary architectural sculptor Dan Phillips is busily grouting keys, marbles and tile fragments onto the park’s acres of sculptural concrete walls, grottoes and features, with the help of a crew of artist/collaborators. The project is also having some success sticking money from donors: beginning with $100,000 from Orange Show supporter Marilyn Oshman the park effort has added $530,000 in additional funding from local individuals and foundations as it nears completion, according to its most recent newsletter.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015