Smither Park, the new folky-art mecca under construction next door to the Orange Show, is making progress. Visionary architectural sculptor Dan Phillips is busily grouting keys, marbles and tile fragments onto the park’s acres of sculptural concrete walls, grottoes and features, with the help of a crew of artist/collaborators. The project is also having some success sticking money from donors: beginning with $100,000 from Orange Show supporter Marilyn Oshman the park effort has added $530,000 in additional funding from local individuals and foundations as it nears completion, according to its most recent newsletter.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015