For the past week, Los Angeles gallery Cantor Fine Art has been steadily releasing art-related emojis on their Instagram page. A fair share of the images poke fun at modern and contemporary art—of course, making a splatter-painted Pollock head and an R.Mutt-signed toilet is just too good to pass up. But not even the greatest of the great are safe: the gallery has released Michelangelo and Vermeer emojis to boot.
Unfortunately, as of now, the emojis are just for show. No one has yet figured out how to hack into the iPhone operating system and guerrilla-insert art emojis—though, that would be a good hacktivist art project. However, since the world just got a Tinder for art, we wouldn’t be surprised if art emojis aren’t too far behind. To see more, go here.
also by Glasstire
- Naked Donald Trump Statue for Sale - September 24th, 2016
- Rienzi Gets a New Director - September 24th, 2016
- Rice Engineer and MFAH Artist Are 2016 MacArthur Geniuses - September 24th, 2016
- City of Georgetown Calls For Public Art Proposals - September 23rd, 2016
- Project Row Houses Announces Next Artist Round - September 23rd, 2016