For the past week, Los Angeles gallery Cantor Fine Art has been steadily releasing art-related emojis on their Instagram page. A fair share of the images poke fun at modern and contemporary art—of course, making a splatter-painted Pollock head and an R.Mutt-signed toilet is just too good to pass up. But not even the greatest of the great are safe: the gallery has released Michelangelo and Vermeer emojis to boot.
Unfortunately, as of now, the emojis are just for show. No one has yet figured out how to hack into the iPhone operating system and guerrilla-insert art emojis—though, that would be a good hacktivist art project. However, since the world just got a Tinder for art, we wouldn’t be surprised if art emojis aren’t too far behind. To see more, go here.
also by Glasstire
- Houston Music Venue Announces Community Arts Initiative - February 20th, 2017
- San Antonio DACA Art Student Detained by Immigration Officials - February 19th, 2017
- February 18: Artists Talks in Houston & 20+ Openings in Dallas - February 18th, 2017
- Michael Peranteau to Step Down from Art League Houston - February 17th, 2017
- A $2 Million Gift for Upcoming Museum in Dallas - February 16th, 2017