For the past week, Los Angeles gallery Cantor Fine Art has been steadily releasing art-related emojis on their Instagram page. A fair share of the images poke fun at modern and contemporary art—of course, making a splatter-painted Pollock head and an R.Mutt-signed toilet is just too good to pass up. But not even the greatest of the great are safe: the gallery has released Michelangelo and Vermeer emojis to boot.
Unfortunately, as of now, the emojis are just for show. No one has yet figured out how to hack into the iPhone operating system and guerrilla-insert art emojis—though, that would be a good hacktivist art project. However, since the world just got a Tinder for art, we wouldn’t be surprised if art emojis aren’t too far behind. To see more, go here.
also by Glasstire
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017
- Houston Performance Art Festival Announces Lineup — And It's Good! - January 14th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary Will Organize the Ukrainian Pavilion for the Venice Biennale - January 12th, 2017
- Top Five: January 12, 2017 - January 12th, 2017