For the past week, Los Angeles gallery Cantor Fine Art has been steadily releasing art-related emojis on their Instagram page. A fair share of the images poke fun at modern and contemporary art—of course, making a splatter-painted Pollock head and an R.Mutt-signed toilet is just too good to pass up. But not even the greatest of the great are safe: the gallery has released Michelangelo and Vermeer emojis to boot.
Unfortunately, as of now, the emojis are just for show. No one has yet figured out how to hack into the iPhone operating system and guerrilla-insert art emojis—though, that would be a good hacktivist art project. However, since the world just got a Tinder for art, we wouldn’t be surprised if art emojis aren’t too far behind. To see more, go here.
also by Glasstire
- UT Removes Confederate Statues Overnight; Bomb Attempt and Arrest in Houston Over Another Statue - August 21st, 2017
- Derek Jeter Wants to Kill Red Grooms' Baseball Installation - August 20th, 2017
- No Longer Art (Yet Another Proposal for Removed Confederate Statues) - August 19th, 2017
- Entire White House Arts Committee Resigns in Protest - August 18th, 2017
- Blanton Gifted Set of Leon Polk Smith Paintings and Drawings - August 17th, 2017