Earlier today, Hyperallergic reported that a St. Petersburg resident has expressed outrage over the genitalia of a replica of Michelangelo’s David. The resident claimed that David’s nudity “spoils the city’s historic appearance and warps children’s souls.” They then went on:
How could you put this bloke without any trousers on in the center of St Petersburg, next to a school and a church?
As for now, David is left in a sorry state—with a black piece of plastic taped over his genitals. Hey, at least Russia didn’t follow in the footsteps of Pope Pius IX and turn David into a eunuch.
For more info, go here.
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: August 17, 2017 - August 16th, 2017
- The Tom of Finland Movie - August 16th, 2017
- Gunnar Birkerts, Architect Who Designed CAMH, Dies at 92 - August 16th, 2017
- Dallas Architecture Forum Hosts Chinati and MASS MoCA - August 15th, 2017
- 5th Annual Transborder Biennial Announced - August 14th, 2017