Earlier today, Hyperallergic reported that a St. Petersburg resident has expressed outrage over the genitalia of a replica of Michelangelo’s David. The resident claimed that David’s nudity “spoils the city’s historic appearance and warps children’s souls.” They then went on:
How could you put this bloke without any trousers on in the center of St Petersburg, next to a school and a church?
As for now, David is left in a sorry state—with a black piece of plastic taped over his genitals. Hey, at least Russia didn’t follow in the footsteps of Pope Pius IX and turn David into a eunuch.
For more info, go here.
also by Glasstire
- Houston Artists: Artadia Wants to Give You Money - April 24th, 2017
- City of Austin Announces First Artist-in-Residence - April 23rd, 2017
- Celebrate Earth Day with an Environmentally Conscious Film Festival - April 22nd, 2017
- West Austin Studio Tour Artists Announced - April 21st, 2017
- DMA Announces 2017 Artist Award Winners - April 20th, 2017