Earlier today, Hyperallergic reported that a St. Petersburg resident has expressed outrage over the genitalia of a replica of Michelangelo’s David. The resident claimed that David’s nudity “spoils the city’s historic appearance and warps children’s souls.” They then went on:
How could you put this bloke without any trousers on in the center of St Petersburg, next to a school and a church?
As for now, David is left in a sorry state—with a black piece of plastic taped over his genitals. Hey, at least Russia didn’t follow in the footsteps of Pope Pius IX and turn David into a eunuch.
For more info, go here.
also by Glasstire
- New Art Space Opens in Dallas This Weekend - September 29th, 2016
- The Top Five Things to See in Houston - September 29th, 2016
- Top Five: September 29, 2016 - September 29th, 2016
- RIP Hunting Art Prize - September 27th, 2016
- Pierre Huyghe Wins the Second Annual $100,000 Nasher Prize - September 26th, 2016