Earlier today, Hyperallergic reported that a St. Petersburg resident has expressed outrage over the genitalia of a replica of Michelangelo’s David. The resident claimed that David’s nudity “spoils the city’s historic appearance and warps children’s souls.” They then went on:
How could you put this bloke without any trousers on in the center of St Petersburg, next to a school and a church?
As for now, David is left in a sorry state—with a black piece of plastic taped over his genitals. Hey, at least Russia didn’t follow in the footsteps of Pope Pius IX and turn David into a eunuch.
For more info, go here.
also by Glasstire
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017
- Houston Performance Art Festival Announces Lineup — And It's Good! - January 14th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary Will Organize the Ukrainian Pavilion for the Venice Biennale - January 12th, 2017
- Top Five: January 12, 2017 - January 12th, 2017