Fake, fake, fake, fake and Nancy Rubins’ shiny canoes in this week’s top art events in Texas. Yes!
1. Raychael Stine: Chuparrosa
Art Palace, Houston
February 20 – March 27
New paintings by Albuquerque-based artist Raychael Stine, whose clever works layers and remixes prim abstract gestures like sushi plates, representations of animals, and trompe l’oeil tricks.
2. Clare Benson: The Shepherd’s Daughter
Texas Woman’s University East Gallery, Denton
February 11 – March 13
Photography by Clare Benson, who stages scenes reinserting herself into the rugged landscapes her father’s hunting recalled from her childhood.
3. Adam Neese: Terra Incognita
Ro2 Art at The Magnolia Theatre
February 12 – March 26, 2015
Opening: February 26, 2015 | 7–10 pm
Imaginary landscapes–photographs from a National Park Guidebooks rephotographed in the landscape of the American Southwest. Do you see a theme emerging here?
4. Wildly Strange: The Photographs of Ralph Eugene Meatyard
Blanton Museum of Art, Austin
March 7 – June 21
Meatyards’s haunting photographs of masked figures in the deteriorating Southern landscape (some never before seen!), along with his lesser-known portraits of blurry American writers. Curated from from the UT Ransom Center’s collection by Jessica S. McDonald.
5. Nancy Rubins: Monochrome for Austin
University of Texas at Austin near 24th St. and Speedway Dr.
March 5 – June 5
Opening: March 5, 5:30–8 pm. Talk with the artist and art critic Nancy Princenthal at 5:30, reception on the Norman Hackerman Bldg. patio at 6:30.
UT’s latest (and largest) public art installation–a 50-foot-tall sculptural assemblage made from aluminum canoes and small boats, located near 24th St. and Speedway Dr.
also by Glasstire
- UT Removes Confederate Statues Overnight; Bomb Attempt and Arrest in Houston Over Another Statue - August 21st, 2017
- Derek Jeter Wants to Kill Red Grooms' Baseball Installation - August 20th, 2017
- No Longer Art (Yet Another Proposal for Removed Confederate Statues) - August 19th, 2017
- Entire White House Arts Committee Resigns in Protest - August 18th, 2017
- Blanton Gifted Set of Leon Polk Smith Paintings and Drawings - August 17th, 2017