A Russian artist, Irina Bogatcheva, a.k.a. Anastasia the Great, is being held in custody in Houston for failing to show up for a hearing regarding the bankruptcy case of former Houston hand surgeon Michael Brown, reports the Houston Chronicle. Allegedly, $77,000 in cash found in her home in Miami was given to her by Brown, though she denies it.
However, court documents state that Brown ” delivered a reddish-gray suitcase with a fabric exterior containing about $1 million in cash, his collection of about 45 watches and eight Fredrick Hart sculptures,” in 2013, says the Chronicle. In November of last year, during the bankrupcy case of Michael Brown, two briefcases full of about $3.2 million in cash were unaccounted for.
The cash underwent a “sophisticated fingerprint extraction process” on May 2 to determine if Brown handled it.
also by Lucia Simek
- Public Art is Winning! - May 22nd, 2014
- The Contemporary Austin Names a New Firestorm Fixer - May 21st, 2014
- Giant Camera Wins Giant Prize Purse - May 20th, 2014
- The Met Opens its Digital Vault - May 19th, 2014
- Goss-Michael Foundation's Associate Director Named Juror for ArtPrize - May 19th, 2014