A two-alarm fire destroyed much of a strip center on the 1500 block of Blodgett in Houston’s Museum Park early this morning. Officials think it may have started in a laundromat and destroyed another business before causing serious smoke and water damage to others, including the recently opened Gallery Jatad. According to ABC13, the fire started around 2 am and it took more than an hour to get it under control, but no one was hurt.
Gallery Jatad, owned and operated by the husband and wife team of African art expert/collector Matt Scheiner and artist/curator Lisa Qualls, opened less than two months ago, after ten years of planning. The gallery, which shows both contemporary art and traditional African art, was set to hold an exhibition opening tomorrow night. The opening has been postponed until further notice.
also by Paula Newton
- Apply Now for Round 8 Idea Fund $$$ - October 9th, 2015
- Michael Ray Charles Adds Installation to UT’s Landmark Collection - October 8th, 2015
- Chalk Across Texas With You - October 7th, 2015
- The People Have Spoken: No More Renoir! - October 6th, 2015
- David Adickes Sign Site of Documented Theft - October 5th, 2015