A two-alarm fire destroyed much of a strip center on the 1500 block of Blodgett in Houston’s Museum Park early this morning. Officials think it may have started in a laundromat and destroyed another business before causing serious smoke and water damage to others, including the recently opened Gallery Jatad. According to ABC13, the fire started around 2 am and it took more than an hour to get it under control, but no one was hurt.
Gallery Jatad, owned and operated by the husband and wife team of African art expert/collector Matt Scheiner and artist/curator Lisa Qualls, opened less than two months ago, after ten years of planning. The gallery, which shows both contemporary art and traditional African art, was set to hold an exhibition opening tomorrow night. The opening has been postponed until further notice.
also by Paula Newton
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017