A two-alarm fire destroyed much of a strip center on the 1500 block of Blodgett in Houston’s Museum Park early this morning. Officials think it may have started in a laundromat and destroyed another business before causing serious smoke and water damage to others, including the recently opened Gallery Jatad. According to ABC13, the fire started around 2 am and it took more than an hour to get it under control, but no one was hurt.
Gallery Jatad, owned and operated by the husband and wife team of African art expert/collector Matt Scheiner and artist/curator Lisa Qualls, opened less than two months ago, after ten years of planning. The gallery, which shows both contemporary art and traditional African art, was set to hold an exhibition opening tomorrow night. The opening has been postponed until further notice.
also by Paula Newton
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017
- SXSE: Beaumont Is a Boomtown of Film & Music - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get A Studio and Stipend from Lawndale - February 16th, 2017