El Paso street artists Silver IsReal and Carlo Mendo have formed a new nonprofit, the “Urban Art Fitters League of El Paso” to paint downtown alleys with uplifting murals. Begun in April, their first project, “Make Love Not War” was a memorial to friends who died in an alcohol-related traffic accident. Painting with the permission of building owners, the group painted a series of murals along an alley from downtown 6th street all the way to Overland. Most recently, Fourth Street in downtown El Paso was closed as the Art-Fitters painters Eddie Marquez “Dead Boy”, Gabriel Marquez, Gno Madrid, and Tino Ortega created a snowy “winter wonderland” on the wall of Krystal Jeans at Paisano and 4th Sts. to the delight of holiday shoppers.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015