Like Houston’s Astrodome, Beijing’s Bird Nest Stadium, repudiated by its creator, dissident artist Ai WeiWei, and costing the government $11 million a year to maintain, is becoming a white elephant. Wacky attempts to find uses for the 91,000 seat venue have included an indoor ski slope (Hey! Now there’s an idea for Houston . . .) a record breaking high wire residency, Segway tours around its Olympic track, even a wax museum of past and present presidents of the International Olympic Committee.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015