Former Frisco Mayor Mike Simpson, the executive director and chief fundraiser for the embattled Art Center of North Texas, has resigned a week ahead of a board meeting to discuss new directions for the collapsing project. Proposed for a developer-friendly site and “nearly ready to break ground” in 2010, the $60 million project was scuttled when the city of Frisco declined to approve a bond issue to fund its share. With a multimillion-dollar naming rights sponsor lined up, but little community support, the center will decide whether to retrench, tread water, or simply dissolve at the meeting scheduled for Feb. 16 at 4 p.m. at Allen City Hall.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015