Houston oilman Roland Sledge of VAALCO Energy is the archetype of the outsider art buyer the big auction houses are hoping to rope in to what they hope will be an resurgence in online art sales, after a decade of disappointment that proved the obvious: few people are willing to drop four or five figures on objects they have not seen in person. Nevertheless, in today’s New York Times, Artnet Auctions’ Hans Neuendorf toots the online horn: “it’s happening,” he says.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015