Lunar New Year is February 14, and there’s a Celebration on the Rothko Chapel Plaza in Houston at 2 pm with representatives of two Buddhist traditions, the Tibetan Bon and Nichiren Shu, who will conduct a joint ritual celebration around the reflecting pool and Barnett Newman’s Broken Obelisk. Rev. Myoken Caine-Barrett of the Myoken Temple in Houston will lead participants in Setsubun bean throwing, Ven. Geshe Gyaltsen and Dr. Chaoul will lead a sang, or smoke ritual, to welcome the New Year and throw tsampa, or roasted barley flour. Free.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015