San Antonio Central Library is storing away Dale Chihuly’s Fiesta Tower, it’s showpiece 917-part glass sculpture, for a year or so during construction work on its atrium. Pieces of the two-ton bauble were strewn around on rugs last week. The weatherization project, funded by $6 million in City of San Antonio Certificates of Obligation and tax notes, will include replacement of the roof and skylight; repairs to the HVAC system; and resurfacing the exterior of the fourteen year-old structure, designed by award-winning architect (and amateur roofer) Ricardo Legorreta.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015