The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, has just been gifted 289 photographs by the influential postwar Japanese photographer Ishimoto Yasuhiro. Born in 1921, Yasuhiro trained under Harry Callahan at the Institute of Design in Chicago. A selection of 67 of the newly acquired photographs will be on view at the MFAH beginning Tuesday, May 5, in the exhibition Ways of Seeing: The Photography of Ishimoto Yasuhiro, organized by Yasufumi Nakamori, the the MFAH’s assistant curator of photography who made the connection.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015