Bad news from Austin: The Shepard Fairey mural, originally scheduled to be installed on Thursday, March 19, on the UT Art Building, has been postponed indefinitely.
Here’s part of the UT press release (complete with awkward comma action at the beginning of the last two paragraphs):
"We jumped at the opportunity and set the wheels in motion to take advantage of his offer," says Landmarks director Andrée Bober. "Shepard’s work is important and perfectly suited to our program, but it was ambitious to try to pull it off in just one week. Unfortunately, we ran out of time."Dean of the College of Fine Arts, Doug Dempster would like to reschedule the event. "We would still like to see his work here on campus, but the compressed schedule makes it too difficult at this time. As dean of Fine Arts, I felt that we were rushing the process with an important artist and an important installation. I decided that it would be better to slow down and proceed in a more deliberate fashion. I’m sorry that we could not move fast enough for this project to happen."Zarathustra James, Fairey’s representative said it was great of Landmarks to welcome Fairey’s work, but that they understood the logistical challenges. "Shepard would definitely be interested in a future project," said James. "With a little more planning, he’ll even be able to get involved with the faculty and students."
also by Roy Neinast
- Daniel Dove at Cherry and Martin - February 13th, 2010
- Serial Killers and Stoners: 10 Facts about Austin’s Moonlight Towers - December 12th, 2009
- Quite the Scene Upstairs at Lawndale - November 26th, 2009
- A Treasury of iPhone Photos from East Austin Studio Tour - November 22nd, 2009
- Celebrating Halloween with 15 Macabre Artists - October 29th, 2009