BEST: I’d complained for years about how young Houston artists were careerist losers unwilling to do anything beyond look for gallery representation for their derivative, 6th-carbon copy art — and I finally got smacked down this year, when the local whippersnappers snapped out of their lethargy to shake things up in a big way. New spaces such as Caroline Collective, Skydive, Box 13, the Joanna and our own Bill Davenport’s Optical Project (OK, Bill no longer counts as a whippersnapper, but still) livened up the art map while new life was breathed into performace with the awesome work of Daniel Adame and SexyATTACK. Houston is hopping once again. Hallelujah.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Catching up with Okay Mountain - February 4th, 2011
- Two Great Shows, Part 1: Dan H. Phillips at Webb Gallery - December 16th, 2010
- Toby Kamps moves across town - July 14th, 2010
- Who's Afraid of the Big bad Show? - July 8th, 2010
- Dear Old Umeå, or Art Where It Never Gets Dark - June 24th, 2010