BEST: I’d complained for years about how young Houston artists were careerist losers unwilling to do anything beyond look for gallery representation for their derivative, 6th-carbon copy art — and I finally got smacked down this year, when the local whippersnappers snapped out of their lethargy to shake things up in a big way. New spaces such as Caroline Collective, Skydive, Box 13, the Joanna and our own Bill Davenport’s Optical Project (OK, Bill no longer counts as a whippersnapper, but still) livened up the art map while new life was breathed into performace with the awesome work of Daniel Adame and SexyATTACK. Houston is hopping once again. Hallelujah.
also by Rainey Knudson
- You Should Go To Mexico City - August 6th, 2017
- Please Stop Painting The Electrical Boxes (A Public Art Proposal) - July 30th, 2017
- This and That: Chris Burden, David Blaine + Youtube - July 1st, 2017
- As Moths to the Light: Pipilotti Rist at the MFAH - June 18th, 2017
- This and That: Andy Warhol / Tiger Woods - June 5th, 2017