BEST: I’d complained for years about how young Houston artists were careerist losers unwilling to do anything beyond look for gallery representation for their derivative, 6th-carbon copy art — and I finally got smacked down this year, when the local whippersnappers snapped out of their lethargy to shake things up in a big way. New spaces such as Caroline Collective, Skydive, Box 13, the Joanna and our own Bill Davenport’s Optical Project (OK, Bill no longer counts as a whippersnapper, but still) livened up the art map while new life was breathed into performace with the awesome work of Daniel Adame and SexyATTACK. Houston is hopping once again. Hallelujah.
also by Rainey Knudson
- New Year: Less Internet, More People - January 10th, 2017
- Dorothy Hood: The Color of Being / El Color de Ser - January 1st, 2017
- This and That: Duchamp and Serrano - December 19th, 2016
- This and That: Lynda Benglis & Rosie the Riveter - December 5th, 2016
- Pauline Oliveros, 1932 - 2016 - November 26th, 2016