Cracks are showing in the artworld’s nudge-nudge, wink-wink no-dicount policy as galleries here and in New York advertise slashed prices on art great and small. At NY’s Edelman Arts an Alex Katz landscape, once $150,000 is now $80,000. Basqiat: 48% off. NY’s Caren Golden Fine Art sent an e-mail about its "Brand New Deal" show featuring 12 young artists with an unusual mention of prices — $850 to $6,000. Dallas’ Marty Walker Gallery is advertising a one-week sale on critically acclaimed artists such as Ed Ruscha, John Waters, Ted Kincaid, Tom Orr, Matthew Porter, William Lamson, Pard Morrison.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015