Houston’s MFAH is branching out by acquiring eight big, expensive works from the Chaney Family. Chiho Aoshima’s scroll-like video City Glow, long installed near the cafe, and Damien Hirst’s End Game, long installed near the elevator are two gifts in memory of Robert H. Chaney, prominent Houston oilman and art collector who died in October. The other six pieces will be purchased: Rachel Whiteread’s Untitled (Fire Escape), Do-Ho Suh’s Karma (the giant fiberglass feet), and Paratrooper III, Zhang Huan’s Family Tree, Thomas Ruff’s Substrat 12 11, and Noh Sang Kyoon’s For the Worshippers.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015