Critic Ken Johnson praised Rackstraw Downes‘ plein-air paintings like Pulaski Skyway Crossing the Hackensack River in this morning’s New York Times, calling them "engagingly intimate", even as he admitted they "could be mistaken for copies of wide angle photographs". Read an interview with the artist about his new show at Betty Cunningham Gallery, Chelsea, here.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015