On Monday, a group of folks held a rally protesting the paintings of the French impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir outside Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts, reports the Boston Globe. Organized by Max Geller, creator of the Instagram account Renoir Sucks at Painting, the group came up with some pretty clever signs and chants:
God Hates Renoir
Treacle Harms Society
Put some fingers on those hands! Give us work by Paul Gauguin !
Other art is worth your while! Renoir paints a steaming pile!
We’re not iconoclasts. Renoir just sucks at painting!
Most passersby were perplexed, but one grandmother from Phoenix who spent the morning in the museum with her daughter and grandchild told the Globe, “I love their sense of irony. I love Renoir, but I think this is great.”
Geller also petitioned the federal government to “Remove all of the literally awful Renoir paintings hanging in the National Gallery in Washington DC.” The petition closed due to insufficient signatures (fifteen), but it is still archived on the White House petition page.
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017