More InformationPosition: Director of Education and Community Engagement
Status: Exempt, Full time position
Reports to: CEO
Location: Society for the Performing Arts, Houston TX
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Posted: January 17, 2020 – open until filled
SPA is an equal opportunity employer – we value diversity. All are encouraged to apply.
Director of Education and Community Engagement is responsible for leading the comprehensive education, community and extended programming for Society for the Performing Arts (SPA), a non-profit multi-disciplinary presenter in Houston Texas. The Education Director will work with the CEO, Artistic Programming Director, Education Staff, Artistic and Education Committee and Board of Directors to conceive, develop and execute a broad spectrum of effective, relevant, accessible, diverse and inclusive programs that promote awareness, education and appreciation of the performing arts. Director will oversee Manager of School and Community Partnerships, Education Interns, Volunteers and Teaching Artists.
• Create, execute, manage and evaluate a full range of programs in collaboration with SPA season artists to authentically fit the needs of Houston’s diverse audiences and our community partners including Behind the Curtain Lectures, Master Classes, Performance Preludes, Creative Chats, Student Art Contest, Family Days and Student Nights, Short and Long-term Artist Residencies, Teacher Workshops and more.
• Maintain knowledge of and compliance with Texas curriculum standards and state requirements.
• Monitor program effectiveness by gathering and analyzing qualitative and quantitative statistics, for use in evaluation, reports, grants and other funding proposals.
• Develop and manage annual department program budget including the tracking of income and expenditures, reporting on its progress throughout the fiscal year.
• Promote expand and enrich relationships with collaborative, education and community partners locally and regionally to include community groups, schools, colleges, cultural institutions etc.
• Plan and lead three Education Committee meetings annually; developing content, dialog and participation with a broad group of individuals and community partners.
• Recruit, train and supervise education department staff, interns, volunteers and arts education fellows.
• Lead internship program including recruiting, selection and coordination of candidates in collaboration with department directors.
• Develop the SPA volunteer program, working with entire SPA team to identify needs and opportunities for volunteering.
• Expand our student ticket program.
• Work with Marketing and PR to develop materials, brochures, flyers, newsletter and social media content to promote participation in SPA education and mainstage programs. Develop and maintain education page on SPA website.
• Work with Development team to identify grant opportunities and prepare proposals.
• Participate as a representative of SPA, in the broader arts education community attending relevant meetings, symposia, workshops and gatherings to include Arts Connect and other community initiatives.
• Position requires public speaking, event moderation and board presentations.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• A minimum of 4 years of relevant experience developing and implementing successful arts education programs
• A creative, collaborative spirit with a strong desire to embrace opportunity and build sustainable program structures
• Requires a highly developed sense of initiative and responsibility
• A strategic and analytical thinker who can translate short- and long-term goals into practical, implementable plans of action tied to evaluation and key performance indicators
• Hands on collaborative leader who can set a vision and direction and be part of the working team with their own projects and timelines that advance collective efforts
• Must be passionate about arts education and committed to making our patron experience as enjoyable and fulfilling as it is informative. Knowledge of and experience with Houston’s arts and arts education communities a plus
• Excellent written communication and oral presentation skills
• Demonstrated success leading a team toward a common goal, emphasizing collaboration, respect, and high performance
• Excellent time management and project management skills with the ability to drive multiple projects simultaneously
• Flexibility to work nights and weekends
• Must hold a Bachelor's degree or higher
• Positive, cooperative work ethic and interaction with staff, board, guests and visitors.
• High degree of initiative and attention to detail; ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects and deadlines.
• Must have reliable source of transportation
• Proficiency with MS Outlook ● MS Word ● MS Excel ● MS Powerpoint● Wordpress
• Must be able to lift 30 lbs. or more.
Report to CEO
Key Relationships: SPA Board of Directors, Education Committee, all external relationships with Community Partners.
Time Commitment: Hours: 40+ hours per week / M-F 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. plus evenings and week
This Ad has been viewed 118 times.