More InformationJob Title: Registrar
Reports to: Nancy C. Allen Curator & Director of Exhibitions
Classification: Full time/Exempt
Work Schedule: 40 hours a week; required to work some weekends and evenings
With 13 locations across the globe, Asia Society is the leading educational organization dedicated to promoting mutual understanding and strengthening partnerships among the peoples, leaders, and institutions of Asia and the United States in a global context. Across the fields of arts, business, culture, education, and policy, the Society provides insight, generates ideas, and promotes collaboration to address present challenges and create a shared future. Asia Society Texas Center operates as a separate 501(c)(3) organization and is an affiliate of the Asia Society global network.
Exhibitions at Asia Society Texas Center have pride of place in a 40,000 square-foot building designed by Yoshio Taniguchi and opened to the public in April 2012. Since opening, exhibitions have included Treasures of Asian Art: A Rockefeller Legacy (April – Oct 2012), showcasing major works from the Mr. and Mrs. John D. Rockefeller 3rd collection; The Other Side: Chinese and Mexican Immigration to America (March – July 2015), drawing parallels between two communities via contemporary art, Drawn from Nature (September 2015 – February 2016) celebrating the ongoing impact of the natural world in contemporary Asian art, and Modern Twist: Contemporary Japanese Bamboo Art (January 29 – July 30, 2017), among others.
This staff member assists the Nancy C. Allen Curator and Director of Exhibitions in all elements of exhibition development, planning, and execution. He or she is responsible for the physical care and arrangements for temporary exhibitions and loans, and for management of tours of exhibitions organized by Asia Society Texas Center (ASTC) as assigned, along with other departmental duties. Job title commensurate with candidate experience.
• Coordinate all practical arrangements for each exhibition, including display preparation, contract and loan agreement preparation, loan negotiations, condition checking, packing, transport, insurance, couriers, installation, and photography.
• Manage the care and handling of objects loaned for exhibition, including shipping, condition reporting, and temporary storage arrangements.
• Process all incoming loans and oversee packing and unpacking of loans and traveling exhibitions, including production of the crate lists, object checklists, and condition report books.
• Request estimates from, schedule, and liaise with a diverse range of vendors, including but not limited to fine arts shippers, art insurance companies, graphic designers and printers, installation and lighting technicians, photographers, and exhibition furniture makers.
• Coordinate, assist, and work closely with the curator (including guest curators) to develop the object list, confirm loans, edit, and proofread all gallery text and label copy, press releases, and gallery guides when required.
• Assist with compilation, implementation, and oversight of exhibition budgets; assist with coding, submitting, and tracking incoming invoices. Provide expense reports upon request.
• Monitor HVAC systems and work with Facilities Management to maintain proper environmental conditions in galleries and storage areas.
• Assist with development and implementation of short- and long-range program plans, including booking travel and accommodations for visiting artists and program participants, acting as a local liaison, and requesting per diems.
• Assist with the development of online content and interactives related to the exhibitions.
• Participate in programs related to ASTC exhibitions including presentations, gallery tours, staff/docent training, and special events.
• With Visitor & Member Services team, track exhibition attendance; prepare reports upon request.
• Assist with the evaluation of proposed exhibitions.
• Field inquiries and conduct tours for special groups, patrons, and individuals.
• Assist with early planning for touring exhibitions as necessary, including preparing content summaries; seeking and securing tour venues; preparing and negotiating loan agreements and contracts. Liaise closely with all tour venues on the practical arrangements for each allocated exhibition, including design, loan negotiation and agreements, condition checking, packing, transport, indemnity and insurance, couriers, and installation.
• Maintain confidentiality regarding all sensitive exhibition information.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in art, art history, museum administration, museum studies, or a related field.
• At least 2-3 years of experience in museum exhibitions required (3-5 years preferred).
• Knowledge of standard museum registration and lending practices.
• Proven organizational skills, with strong ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks, function under pressure, and work independently.
• Experience with art handling and knowledge of best practices.
• Awareness of environmental monitoring guidelines related to the display of artwork.
• Experience with fine arts insurance.
• Ability to plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines. Strong budgeting skills.
• Ability to collaborate with staff, supporters, and outside vendors.
• Strong ability to interact with the public and high-level individuals and work collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
• An understanding of, and an ability to articulate, the accomplishments and goals of an organization like Asia Society Texas.
• Maturity, diplomacy, calm under pressure
• Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail
• Strong interpersonal and team skills
• Strong communications skills, written and oral
• Resourcefulness and good judgment
• Values diversity of thought, backgrounds, and perspectives
• Personal integrity and ethical standards
Other Skills and Abilities:
Position requires demonstrated applied skills in word processing and spreadsheet operations, including but not limited to, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and the ability to learn other software. The ability to work without direct supervision in a small office environment is required. Ability to hold a valid Driver’s License and have reliable transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk, and for sometimes extended periods during exhibition installation and de-installation. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Commensurate with experience. Asia Society Texas Center offers an attractive benefits package.
Asia Society Texas Center does not provide compensation for interview travel nor relocation expenses.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter (detailing potential fit of candidate experience and job description) and resume indicating the position and salary requirements. Indicate job title in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. A background check and current references will be required of successful candidates. Please regard your resume as having been received unless your email is bounced back.
This Ad has been viewed 515 times.