The Meadows Foundation, Inc. has pledged a whopping $45 million to SMU’s Meadows School of the Arts and the Meadows Museum, the largest single gift in SMU history. $20 million is going to the School of the Arts and $25 million is being given to the Museum. The “Prado on the Prairie,” which has one of the most comprehensive collections of Spanish art outside of Spain, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
The Meadows Foundation was established in 1948 by Dallas businessman Algur H. Meadows and his wife Virginia. In 1962, Algur Meadows donated funds to establish a museum at SMU to house his private collection of Spanish art, which opened to the public in 1965.
Since its inception, the Foundation has disbursed more than $700 million in grants and direct charitable expenditures to more than 7,000 Texas institutions and agencies. But Linda Perryman Evans, president and CEO of the Meadows Foundation and great-niece of Algur Meadows, sums up the importance of the gift: “This is a huge, big deal,” she told The Dallas Morning News. “This is the biggest gift we’ve ever made.”
(Image via SMU.)