1. Take care of yourself. Drink water. It’s a goddamn desert.
2. Don’t be a big-city-jerk to the people working at the restaurants and food trucks. This is not Dallas or Houston and things take time, especially during a huge influx.
3. Follow ALL traffic laws. The last thing you need is a ticket or (God forbid!) a DUI in a small town in West Texas. It’s not Deliverance or anything but they will write you a ticket/take your drunk ass to jail.
4. Bring a bike if you can. Most of what you do in Marfa is pretty short distances and it will feel silly driving a car 1,000 feet.
5. The world’s tiniest fancy grocery store is the Get Go grocery. Go here to get nice beer, wine, cheese, and other finer munchies.
6. Friday night there is an opening party at Wrong Marfa where I will be DJing (AKA using iTunes) as “DJ 2nd Sandwich.”
7. Saturday during the day, see as much art as you can. See everything out at the Chinati Foundation. They are open 10:00 AM until 3:00 PM. Go to as many galleries as you can; they tend to be open till 5pm. This day can be a marathon. Wear sunscreen and a hat.
8. On Saturday night, there is an opening at Eugene Binder and, for the high rollers, a $500 a plate dinner at the Chinati Foundation. There is also a free-to-attend after-party for all at at the Capri, 10:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m.
9. Friday and Saturday nights, the Food Shark’s Grilled Cheese Parlour and Museum of Electronic Wonders is providing much needed alcohol absorption from 9PM – 1AM.
10. SELF PLUG (#2!)—but still a useful tool.
You should buy the MARFA app which is available in the iTunes Store. It is a comprehensive listing of restaurants. hotels, art, goods and services in Marfa, and was developed by Buck Johnston, Ean Schuessler and myself.
Everyone’s also invited to a cocktail reception at Ballroom Marfa on October 11 from 6-8pm. We’ll have beer & wine, and Comic Future, our fall exhibition — featuring work from Liz Craft, Aaron Curry, Carroll Dunham, Arturo Herrera, Mike Kelley, Paul McCarthy + more — will be on view all weekend.
More here: https://ballroommarfa.org/archive/chinati-weekend-at-ballroom-marfa/
Thanks for adding this event. Ballroom always puts on a good show. Will add myself to yalls list so I have the press release next time.
#11. Hang out with Thomas Williams at Wrong !