The buildingcommunityWORKSHOP ([bc]) is a nationally recognized nonprofit community design
center seeking to improve the livability and viability of communities through the practice of thoughtful
design and making. [bc] has offices in Dallas, Brownsville, and Houston, TX and in Washington DC. [bc]
is currently seeking a full-time designer to work on architectural and urban design projects in the Houston office.
Position Title: Design Associate
No. of Positions: 1
Location: Houston, TX
Start Date: June, 2018
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
MAIN PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The work we do is impactful. It is fun. It is challenging. It is rewarding. You will work with people in
places where design services are typically not accessible. You will be responsible for phases of a
project ranging from working in communities to understand that place, listening to people about their
needs and preferences, and using that information to serve a need. You must be able to communicate
with people who are not designers and may have not ever been part of a design discussion.
This position requires the ability to apply a diverse set of skills to a diverse set of issues. What that means
is that you may work on the design of a building, a public space, go to a community meeting, research
code or policy, design a flyer, advise a coworker, and get direction from a supervisor in the same day.
Other days you may just do one thing. The ability to be nimble but remain focused is paramount.
This position will work on disaster recovery projects ranging from direct architectural services to
policy and community planning related technical assistance. Applicants should reference in their
cover letter about their previous work in disaster recovery or state why this work is of value to them.
WE VALUE TEAM MEMBERS WHO:
• Are strong team players (of course!)
• Enjoy applying themselves creatively to Architectural and Landscape and Urban Design challenges.
• Thrive when given independence in project management situations.
• Support the design, engagement, and implementation of architectural and/or urban design initiatives, some travel to project sites required.
• Enjoy supporting our clients and partner organizations.
• Enjoys being ingrained in their local community as well as supporting work in other geographies.
• A commitment to people and place with a strong interest in public interest design
• Undergraduate or Master’s degree in architecture, landscape design, urban design or other related fields
• 2-3 years’ design experience project management, design, documentation, and construction administration.
• Strong visual communication skills and graphic talent
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong research skills
• Comfort with public speaking
• Experience with direct civic engagement, including but not limited to: organizing a design charrette or workshop, hosting a community forum.
• Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, GIS, AutoCAD, and Archicad and/or Revit
• Verbal and written Spanish proficiency preferred
• Eligible and authorized to work in the USA
• Healthcare coverage paying 100% of the Blue Cross Blue Shield HSA Plan for you as an individual
• Reimbursement not to exceed $500 annually for professional development
• 80 hours vacation
• 40 hours PTO/Sick
• Paid Holidays (Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, New Year’s Day)
• Summer Break - organization determined
• Winter Break - organization determined
• 1 floating Faith Holiday
Please email one file containing an interest letter, resume, and work samples (10mb maximum file
size) to: Kristy Ramirez (no phone calls please) at email@example.com. Please reference “Houston - Design
Associate” in the subject line of your email.
buildingcommunityWORKSHOP provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or
This Ad has been viewed 117 times.