City of San Marcos Community Services - Parks and Recreation
San Marcos Mural Arts Committee
630 E. Hopkins St.
San Marcos, Texas 78666
512.393.8400 / www.sanmarcostx.gov/arts
Request for Proposals
Project: Outdoor Mural – Exterior Wall at 313 N. LBJ Drive
Artist/Artist Team Stipend: $1,700
Deadline: Monday, May 7, 2018, 8:00 am CST
The City of San Marcos Mural Arts Committee seeks to commission a professional visual artist or artist
team to design and paint a mural on an exterior wall located at 313 N. LBJ Drive. The mural must be
substantially complete by June 8, 2018. The mural will be a featured location for the annual Main Street
Wine and Art Walk to be held on the evening of June 8.
The artist stipend for this project is $1,700. Materials for the project will be provided by the City of San
Marcos. The application deadline is Monday, May 7, 8:00 am CST.
Project Background and Goals
This location is an exterior wall facing the intersection of LBJ Dr. and Hutchison Street. This is a high
traffic area with lots of visibility. The wall is approximately 150 square feet.
The mural does not have to be in a rectangular shape as outlined in the photo. This is a general outline of
the size. We want this to be as open ended as possible to encourage creative license. Here are some
key words and drivers of inspiration to aid you in the design process:
Graphic, Colorful, Contemporary, Playful, Non-controversial, Non-political.
The goals of this mural project are
• To beautify and add character to the downtown area.
• Add to the growing collection of public art.
• Deter graffiti.
The project should meet the following objectives
• To create a mural that is colorful and inspiring for residents and visitors.
• To create a mural that is reflective of the community values.
Preference will be given to local artists or artist teams who have prior experience in mural/large-scale
artworks and prior experience in the creation of public art.
The selection of an artist, or artist team, will be based upon
• Artistic merit of the design.
• Appropriateness of the design for the location, including the scale, content, color and design in
relation to the site.
• Concept promotes themes stated in project summary
• Artist’s qualifications.
• Originality of the design.
The total amount to be paid to the artist is a stipend is $1,700, inclusive of the design and painting
process. This does not include paint, brushes, lifts, etc. These items will be provided by the City of San
Marcos in a quantity and quality that is agreed upon by both parties.
Timeline – subject to change
May 7, 2018 8am (CST) Deadline for submission of proposals.
May 8-11, 2018 Review, selection, and contracting of the artist/artist team.
May 14-June 8, 2018 Painting of the mural.
Multiple designs may be submitted and must include:
• A preliminary concept drawing and narrative. The narrative should convey the artistic intent,
colors, style of work, etc. Please send each image as a .jpg and label with the artist’s last name,
image number and image title. For example: Smith_01.jpg, Smith_02.jpg, etc. Images must be
1028x728 pixels (or smaller) and at least 72 dpi.
• Timetable for completion of the mural.
• Contact Information (resume and artist statement are helpful and encouraged.)
• Examples of other relevant works and/or reviews of similar work. Maximum of 5 images. Please
send each image as a .jpg and label with the artist’s last name, image number and image title.
For example: Smith_01.jpg, Smith_02.jpg, etc. Images must be 1028x728 pixels (or smaller) and
at least 72 dpi.
• Suggested plan for utilizing community volunteers to assist with painting the mural.
• Estimated cost of materials.
Please submit proposals by Monday, May 7, 2018 8am (CST) to:
San Marcos Mural Project
c/o Lisa Morris
630 E. Hopkins
San Marcos, TX 78666
Or email email@example.com
This Ad has been viewed 154 times.