FotoFest seeks independently contracted Teaching Artists for the Literacy Through Photography (LTP) school and community learning program for the 2017-2018 school year. He/She will take an active role in delivering LTP programs; bringing photography, creative writing, and project-based, arts-learning experiences to learners of all ages during in-school and out-of-school time (after-school and summer) hours.
Ideal candidate has vested interest in and experience in delivering arts programs to K-12 youth and in community-based formats, experience in creating and carrying out daily lesson plans, demonstrated strong verbal communication and writing skills, and is capable of representing FotoFest in a positive manner.
He/She must have a valid Texas driver’s license, reliable transportation, and be willing to travel to schools and program sites across greater Houston and other surrounding counties. He/She will be required to go through a Texas DPS background check within the first 30 days of being hired. Hours are determined on a contract-basis, with additional compensation made to defer the cost of planning time, purchasing supplies, and for travel. Our teaching artist positions are contract, not full time, and are subject to availability.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Create arts-integrated projects and lessons that follow the LTP curriculum or reinforce LTP teaching strategies, supporting academic learning through the arts;
Create, maintain and enforce proper handling of camera equipment and supply loans while on-site;
Ensuring the general safety and support of LTP participants while on-site at all times;
Attending mandatory LTP teacher training and important programming meetings 3-4 times a year;
• Maintain regular contact with FotoFest education staff, supplying lesson plans, reports, images, and student project submissions in time for the end of year exhibition.
Desired Skills & Experience
Candidates should have demonstrated experience in arts or education discipline (Bachelor’s degree, MFA or related training preferred) and a minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching K-12 youth in public school or community-based settings. Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following:
• Exceptional ability in prioritizing workflow, setting goals for completion of tasks, and managing deadlines, and strong and timely communication skills;
• Exceptional ability to collaborate and work well with others, including school administration, community partners, teaching artists, students, volunteers, and FotoFest staff;
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
• Knowledge of photography, contemporary art, and creative writing;
• Knowledge of word processing, photography and video editing software a plus.
• Knowledge of current Texas state curriculum standards and an ability to link them to teaching practice, a plus;
• Spanish language proficiency (written and spoken) a plus.
• Applicant must be a resident of the Houston, Texas area.
To apply for this position, please submit a teaching philosophy, letter of interest, 2-3 examples of personal or student artwork, and resume to Lexie Ettinger, Program Manager, email@example.com No phone calls please.
This Ad has been viewed 70 times.