Position: Development Manager, Special Events
Compensation: Salary and benefits competitive; background screen required
Employer: Society for the Performing Arts
Location: 615 Louisiana Street, Suite 100, Houston, Texas 77002
Type: Full Time/Exempt
To enrich the cultural life in Houston, in an affordable way, by presenting the world’s best in multi-discipline performing arts and by delivering the most comprehensive education program of its kind in the city.
Summary: The Development Manager, Special Events will have responsibility for managing signature fundraising events and internal donor events as part of the Development team’s efforts to raising approximately $2 million for Society for the Performing Arts (SPA) each season. Existing events include an annual Gala, a chef-driven food and wine event, a luncheon, 10+ cast parties, pop-up fundraisers, 20+ Green Room receptions, and pre- and post-performance events throughout the SPA season. The ideal candidate will have at least four years of non-profit development experience and a strong track record of achieving or exceeding results, developing relationships, and strong communication skills.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Manage logistics, vendors, collateral, mailings, and look and feel of multiple events in concert with event chairs, when applicable
• Work closely with other Development team members, board members, and event chairs to identify prospects and execute solicitation strategy, including invitations, pledge collection, and gift processing
• Manage budgeting, financial reporting, and evaluation of all aforementioned events
• Assure the Society for the Performing Arts messaging and brand are evident in all events
• Research and solicit in-kind sponsors for event-related goods and services
• Identify new event opportunities and lead the creation of those events
• Coordinate with the Director of Production on technical and venue concerns, as well as artist requests and logistics
2. Individual Giving:
• Manage a portfolio of assigned individual donors
• Create stewardship plans and goals for this portfolio of individuals
• In concert with the Director of Development, identify and cultivate new prospects
3. General administration:
• Participate in strategy and prospecting meetings
• Prepare materials and reports for special events committees, SPA Development Committee, and SPA Board meetings
• Coordinate with the Development Manager, Institutional and Strategic Giving on corporate prospecting, solicitation, and stewardship strategy
To succeed in this role, an applicant must have a track record of success in the following areas:
• Executes to Results: History of meeting or exceeding goals, ability to parse large projects into achievable sub goals, ability to peer manage a team to meet goals, track and communicate progress, use benchmarks and performance measures
• Relationship Development: Ability to initiate and grow internal and external relationships, history of developing transactional relationships into mutually beneficial partnerships
• Communication: Strong written and oral communication, ability to persuade and inspire through communication, develop tailored messaging and storytelling that integrates data and emotional appeal
• Team Collaboration and Leadership: Ability to work well in a team environment with a variety of staff and stakeholders from different locations and departments, and to motivate a team to reach a common goal.
Reports to: Director of Development
Key Relationships: SPA President/CEO, SPA Board of Directors, Development Staff, Development Committee, event chairs, key volunteers, major donors, and community partners
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 4+ years’ experience in fundraising, event planning, or communications required (non-profit experience preferred)
• Experience using a donor database management system (e.g., Raiser’s Edge)
• Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Excel; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
• Ability to work scheduled evenings and weekends
• Maintains composure during potentially stressful situations
• Ability to lift 25+ pounds
• Reliable transportation
Time Commitment: Hours: 35 hours per week / M-F 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. plus evenings and weekends
To apply, please visit http://www.spahouston.org/about-spa/employment.
This Ad has been viewed 139 times.