Title: Communications Coordinator
Department: External Affairs Department
Reports to: Assistant Director of Communications
The External Affairs Department seeks a creative and hardworking individual for the position of Communications Coordinator. The Communications Coordinator provides administrative support to the Assistant Director of Communications and works with the Assistant Director to ensure the Menil Collection’s communications initiatives meet their full potential in maintaining and enhancing the institution’s reputation.
1. Provide general administrative support to the Assistant Director of Communications which includes processing correspondence and invoices, scheduling appointments, providing follow-up and research on the Assistant Director’s behalf, and maintaining electronic and paper file and Press Book.
2. Handle incoming media inquiries, including fact checking, photo, and interview requests.
3. Help to organize and supervise film/photography shoots and media interviews, including those outside of normal working hours. Coordinating photographer approval process with Imaging Services.
4. Write, edit, and distribute press releases, media alerts, fact sheets, e-newsletters and other printed
materials for exhibitions, programs and other Menil initiatives. Post coordinating information on the Menil’s website.
5. Maintain and update press list; track press inquiries and requests.
6. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Communications, pitch story ideas to the media and field press calls.
7. Help develop and executive advertising and marketing initiatives for the Menil, its exhibitions, and special projects.
8. Support Assistant Director of Communications with fulfilling internal communications requests, including drafting messaging for printed materials.
9. Maintain social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) and email (exhibition announcements and public program promotion) scheduling calendars.
10. Meet, greet, and tour media (reporters, writers, editors, and photographers), as needed.
11. Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Communications on public affairs initiatives, which may include the Houston Museum District Association, Visit Houston, City of Houston, other museum-related advocacy organizations, and various levels of government.
12. Attend Museum District and other such association and municipal meetings, as needed.
13. Occasional evening and weekend work required.
1. College degree in Journalism, English, Marketing, Public Relations or a related field.
2. One to three years of experience preferred in communications, marketing, PR or a related field.
3. Art history knowledge is desirable.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
5. Maintains professional demeanor, particularly when dealing with the public, media, board, members, donors or other important constituents.
6. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
7. Ability to multitask efficiently, prioritize work and meet deadlines.
8. Attention to detail to maintain consistency and accuracy in work.
9. Is flexible, resourceful and collaborative.
10. Ability to be a team player and work cross-departmentally to carry out projects and resolve problems in a museum setting.
Salary and benefits competitive and commensurate with experience. Please send resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to: Director of Human Resources, The Menil Collection, 1511 Branard Street, Houston, Texas 77006. Application materials may also be emailed
This Ad has been viewed 261 times.