The Curatorial Business Manager is a full-time, exempt member of the Finance Department of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston. As part of the team, the Curatorial Business Manager is the primary liaison between the finance and curatorial departments, working to provide budgetary, logistical and contractual support for internally and externally generated exhibitions.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Development and Administration, the Curatorial Business Manager also provides administrative and general office support regarding artistic content to various museum departments to advance the institution's mission, programs and long-term goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Financial and Administrative
• Develops, reviews, manages and reconciles all exhibition-related expenses, ensuring that all projects remain within budget
• Actively communicates with all artistic stakeholders (curator, registrar, preparator, etc.) regarding budget status, and obtains approval from Director, Assistant Director and Curator for all exhibition-related expenses
• Tracks and keeps real-time records of all exhibition-related expenses
• Generates, reviews and manages all contracts for exhibitions including, but not limited to exhibition (both internal and externally-generated) touring contracts; artist agreements; and lending letters
• Verifies, edits and confirms compliance with exhibition agreements and promulgates exhibition credit lines to relevant staff
• Develops and manages exhibition-related templates including timelines, letters of agreements, budgets, etc.
• Generates loan letters and coordinates with the registrar to send them to public and private lenders
• Develops and coordinates traveling exhibition schedules and, with project curator and registrar, takes an active role in the coordination of tours of Museum exhibitions to other institutions including the circulation, scheduling, contract origination and execution, and other related administrative matters
• Maintains and affects the flow of appropriate information between the Museum and traveling exhibition venues
• Attends weekly finance meetings; and weekly curatorial meetings
• Interacts with all Museum's departments (Development, Community Engagement, Education, Registration, and Administration)
• Attends and participates in special events and programs outside of office hours as assigned
• Other duties as assigned
• Develops, coordinates and disseminates the exhibition calendar
• Maintains Museum curatorial database, files and records for current and past exhibitions and has principle responsibility for the Museum’s program archives
• Works with community engagement department on the rights and reproduction elements for use of images in all museum-generated materials including web, press, publications, etc.
• Ensures that web site information regarding exhibitions and publications is current, appropriate, and accurate
• Facilitates in the production of exhibition catalogues, reviews drafts with careful attention to detail while ensuring that publications are consistent with the Museum’s style guide, maintains and drives production schedule, and reviews and facilitates all contracts, rights and reproduction, etc.
• 4 year Business or Museum Studies degree
• 3-5 years administrative and/or curatorial experience, preferably in an art museum
• Capacity to prioritize and deal with multiple projects and assignments at once
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to extrapolate essential data and present information in a variety of formats
• Strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
• Ability to perform independently, under pressure and with tight deadlines
• Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work well with colleagues, other employees, volunteers and donors
• Computer experience including Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and Adobe
Name: Amber Winsor
This Ad has been viewed 21 times.