Deadline date: 08/30/14
The Exhibitions Coordinator assists the Director of Exhibitions in all elements of exhibition development, planning, and realization. He or she is responsible for the physical care and arrangements for assigned temporary exhibitions and loans, and for management of tours of exhibitions organized by Asia Society Texas Center (ASTC) as assigned, along with other departmental duties.
1. Coordinate all practical arrangements for each exhibition, including display preparation, design liaison, contract and loan agreement preparation, loan negotiations, condition checking, packing, transport, insurance, couriers, installation, and photography. Manage the care and handling of objects loaned for exhibition, including shipping, condition reporting, and temporary storage.
2. Provide general curatorial assistance in the planning and organization of exhibitions, including research and logistical support in the preparation of checklists, loan requests, exhibition catalogues, didactic materials, interpretive labels, and other exhibition-related materials. Support exhibitions from inception to installation by assisting in duties including conceptual outline, selection of objects, research, writing, interpretation, implementation, budget development and oversight, and fundraising. Coordinate, assist, and work closely with the curator of each exhibition to develop the object list, confirm loans, edit, and proofread all gallery text and label copy, press releases, and gallery guides when required.
3. Assist with early planning for touring exhibitions, including: preparing content summaries; seeking and securing tour venues; preparing and negotiating loan agreements and contracts. Liaise closely with all tour venues on the practical arrangements for each allocated exhibition, including: design, loan negotiation and agreements, condition checking, packing, transport, indemnity and insurance, couriers and installation.
4. Assist with development and implementation of short- and long-range program plans; assist with compilation, implementation, and oversight of exhibition budgets.
5. Develop and assist with the production of online content and interactives related to the exhibitions. Participate in programs related to ASTC exhibitions including presentations, gallery tours, staff and docent training, and special events.
6. Field inquiries and conduct tours for special groups and individuals.
7. Assist with evaluation of proposed exhibitions.
8. Maintain confidentiality regarding all sensitive exhibition information.
9. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in art, art history, museum administration, museum studies, or a related field.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in museum exhibitions.
- Awareness of environmental monitoring guidelines related to the display of art work.
- Experience with fine arts insurance.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and meet deadlines. Strong budgeting skills.
- Ability to collaborate with staff, supporters, and outside vendors.
- Knowledge of standard museum loan and registration practices.
- Experience with art handling and knowledge of best practices.
- Demonstrated experience with Asian art required, knowledge of an Asian language preferred.
- Proven organizational skills, with strong ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks, work independently, and function under pressure.
- Strong ability to interact with the public and high-level individuals and work collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
- An understanding of, and an ability to articulate, the accomplishments and goals of an organization like the Asia Society.
- Maturity, diplomacy, calm under pressure
- Strong interpersonal and team skills
- Strong communications skills, written and oral
- Resourcefulness and good judgment
- Values diversity of thought, backgrounds and perspectives
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail
- Personal integrity and ethical standards
MATERIALS REQUIRED FOR CANDIDACY:
1. Cover letter
3. Background check required
4. Finalists will be required to provide three current references
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume indicating position and salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department, HRDept@asiasociety.org. Indicate job title in the subject line.
Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your resume as having been received unless your email is bounced back.
Name: HR Department
This Ad has been viewed 149 times.