Director of Development
Date Posted: 07/07/14
Organization: Houston Grand Opera
The Director of Development serves as a Major Gifts Officer, carrying major gift prospects and donors within a portfolio. The Director of Development manages the Annual Giving staff Development Officers III - V, and with that staff, is responsible for the development and execution of the overall strategy and Annual Giving plan for personal solicitation, direct mail, and web based gift development. The Annual Giving plan is to include prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of mostly individual donors, with an emphasis on unrestricted and restricted gifts up to $25,000.
The Director of Development projects, and monitors, the revenue goals of the Annual Giving team, and is responsible for the control of expenses related to the Annual Giving program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Cultivate and solicit a portfolio of assigned major gifts prospects. Identify, cultivate, and solicit individual gifts, inclusive of Patron Circle gifts and major gifts, to Houston Grand Opera.
• Serve as primary fundraising coordinator for at least one production per opera season.
• With Annual Giving team, create and implement a detailed Annual Giving plan, inclusive of timetable and budget. The Development department’s Annual Giving plan is inclusive of direct mail, web-based, and telefundraising campaigns.
• Develops programming for retention of Trustees and Patrons, including overseeing the activities of the Patron Recruitment Committee.
• Work closely with the Director of Development/Patron Services to coordinate and track gift activities, as well as encourage increased giving, of Patron-and-above members.
• Work collaboratively with the Prospect and Research Manager in identifying prospects for cultivation and solicitation; incorporate these prospects into the Annual Giving plan and the designated calls officers’ portfolios.
• Design and implement recognition programs to effectively communicate HGO’s appreciation to its annual gift donors, and to provide the donors the appropriate degree of public recognition for their support.
• Create and manage special giving programs, including Houston Grand Opera Studio, in support of HGO’s training program for young singers.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
The successful candidate will have a college degree, and a minimum of 5 years experience, preferably in major gift fundraising, annual giving campaigns (including in-person solicitation), direct mail, telefundraising, and/or campaign management.
The candidate should possess a proven track record of experience in donor cultivation and solicitation. The applicant will have demonstrated supervisory experience. The individual will have excellent writing and oral skills. Requires some night and weekend work.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
Knowledge of opera is a plus. A passion for the performing arts is essential.
Name: Human Resources
This Ad has been viewed 24 times.