Call for Artist Submissions for Houston's first Community Supported Art Program
Fresh Arts is now accepting artist submissions for consideration into the inaugural season of the new Community Supported Art program.
Call for Submissions dates:
Open: September 12, 2013 Deadline: October 10, 2013
Fresh Arts is pleased to invite artists from all disciplines to submit proposals to participate in the inaugural season of the Community Supported Art program (CSA). The CSA program, originally modeled after the Community Supported Agriculture and conceived by Springboard for the Arts in Minnesota, is a pipeline between local artists and patrons. In the spirit of buying and supporting homegrown talent, the Community Supported Arts program seeks to cultivate a culture of local support for original work by artists in the area, establish relationships between local collectors and patrons, and create a model for distribution to novice art collectors.
Artists who wish to apply must submit an application including a resume, work samples, and an artist statement detailing the nature of the work that they intend to create and how it would be of value to the Community Supported Art program. The nine who are selected will create 50 "shares". A typical share will consist of a work of art or object of artistic production - multiples are encouraged, however creative ideas that translate an artist's practice into this format are also welcome. For example a limited edition of vinyl 7", a run of screen-prints, series of small tea cups, run of photographs, letterpress editions of a poem or short story, or even 50 small original paintings. Collaborations between artists or work by collectives are also welcome.
Interested consumers or collectors will purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive 3 "farm boxes" of locally produced artwork at intervals this season. The pick-up evenings will be at local venues and will feature music, food and entertainment.
- Samples of your current work or work representative of what you plan to create if accepted:
- VISUAL ARTISTS: 8 images at 72 to 300 dpi jpegs, approximately 1000 pixels or less in the direction.
- MUSICIANS: Please upload a .DOC with links to 3 or more MP3 audio files and images to illustrate format and packaging.
- PERFORMING ARTS - VIDEO: Please upload a .DOC with links to 3-5 video examples of your work hosted at an outside site. For example: YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- WRITERS: Please provide 3-5 writing samples in either .PDF or Word .DOC format and accompanying images if relevant.
Artist's Statement: Brief artist's statement and proposal for the work you would create for the project. Why is this work a good fit for the Community Supported Art program? (One page max.)
Deadline: Selected artists will be notified by October 24, 2013.
This ad has been viewed 75 times