EXHIBITION DESIGNER. The Amon Carter Museum of American Art seeks a highly creative and technically proficient individual to employ as the sole exhibition designer for one of the nation’s great collections of American art. The Exhibition Designer will provide creative and technical design, development, and implementation for the display of art objects and associated graphics throughout the museum’s collection display and temporary exhibitions, and including interpretation components and lighting. As exhibition design project manager, collaborate across departments and project manage the design portion of all installations. Reports to Deputy Director of Art and Research. View full position description on the museum website at www.cartermuseum.org
• Bachelor’s degree in Design, Fine Arts or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience as a museum exhibition designer or part of a successful museum design team. Minimum five years of art museum exhibition experience required.
• Thorough knowledge of museum exhibition techniques, graphics, and materials. Refined sense of typography, color, and composition requisite.
• Knowledge of accepted museum practices for the handling, matting, framing, display, and installation of 2D and 3D works of art, including fragile and heavy objects. Demonstrated ability to input changes to both text and formatting as marked on hard copies. Knowledge of and proficiency in construction and carpentry, appropriate methods and materials used in the design and fabrication of museum installations, and pertinent museum visitor ADA (visitor safety, circulation, and environmental) requirements.
• Demonstrated commitment to the proper care of works of art, training and experience in applying accepted preservation, storage, and lighting techniques in museum environments.
• Experience with team exhibition project planning. Must be able to synthesize ideas and develop an exhibition installation from initial concept to technical drawings, construction, graphics, installation, and lighting; ability to fabricate models and maquettes to scale.
• Excellent problem-solving skills.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Strong team leadership abilities; position requires initiative as well as collaboration and flexibility when working with the design and installation team. Must be able to give and receive effective constructive critique and welcome feedback from colleagues to refine ideas.
• Highly developed organizational and time management skills. Ability to meet scheduled deadlines and work under pressure. Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects.
• Experience with project budgets and accounting purchasing guidelines.
• Advanced proficiency with Mac-based Adobe CS6, InDesign, CAD, Vector Works, graphic design software, and image management software; familiarity with MS Office systems (Outlook, Word, and Excel); thorough understanding of file-preparation for large-scale graphics required.
• Must be able to move and inspect objects as needed.
• Must understand and follow prescribed museum safety and OSHA requirements at all times.
• Must be available for travel as required.
• Must pass required background and drug screens.
• Supervisory experience preferred.
Application deadline is September 20, 2013. Salary and benefits competitive. Send résumé, references, portfolio, and salary history to HR Manager, 3501 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth, TX 76107; fax (817) 665-4315; email@example.com EEOC.
This ad has been viewed 122 times