Writer (Creative Writing Instructor)
WITS is looking for writers and educators who can teach the joy of creative writing to young people. Employment is part-time, typically a half-day of teaching one day a week from September - May. A yearlong commitment is required.
The pay is $55 per teaching hour. In addition to teaching, the job duties include preparing lessons, responding to student work, and compiling anthologies of student writing at the end of the school year.
We look for writers with teaching or mentoring experience who can convey their passion for the written word in ways that are relevant for Houston area children. In particular, we are seeking bilingual writers, but others are encouraged to apply as well.
ITS Writer Accountabilities:
• Prepare creative writing lessons focusing on the writing process, incorporating reading selections, and writing prompts that are inspiring, relevant, and appropriate
• Provide written feedback to students on their writing
• Attend required writer meetings, trainings, and events
• Keep track of excellent student work and submit it to WITS staff as requested for displays, on-line and print publication, etc.
• Coordinate end-of-year culminating events for your classes
• Choose and prepare one student per classroom for our annual student reading
• Produce classroom anthologies of your students’ writing
• Reflect on and evaluate your residency
• A love and enthusiasm for writing and a desire to teach students the writing process
• Teaching or mentoring experience, experience with elementary, middle, or high school students preferred
• Interest in collaborating with public school teachers
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
• Availability to teach the same day every week throughout the academic year (September – May)
If you are interested in teaching with WITS, please complete our online application. In addition to the application, we ask that you include a cover letter, résumé with 3 references, and 10-page writing sample.
Applications for the 2013-2014 school year are due Monday, August 5, 2013.
This ad has been viewed 153 times