Director of Development
Director of Development (Full-Time)
Ballroom Marfa is a dynamic, contemporary cultural arts space in Marfa, Texas, that provides a lively intellectual environment where varied perspectives and issues are explored through visual arts, film, music, and performance. As an advocate for the freedom of artistic expression, Ballroom Marfa’s mission is to serve international, national, regional, and local arts communities and support the work of both emerging and recognized artists working in all media. Founded in the spring of 2003 by Virginia Lebermann and Fairfax Dorn, Ballroom Marfa is now preparing for its tenth anniversary and is currently planning for its strategic growth for the next decade.
To learn more please visit our website at www.ballroommarfa.org.
The Director of Development provides the management and coordination for Ballroom Marfa’s philanthropic fundraising efforts. The Director of Development will devise and implement strategies leading to Ballroom Marfa’s growth in fundraising and greater financial self-sufficiency through membership, annual support, major gifts, foundation and government grants, corporate relations, planned gifts and special events.
The Director of Development reports to the Director of the Ballroom and the Director of External Affairs, and works closely with the Board of Trustees to shape strategy and secure funds. The Director of Development maintains the annual fundraising budget and must meet realistic but aggressive income goals.
The Director of Development will be based in Marfa, Texas, but will work with constituents in diverse locations, including cities in Texas and New York City, and internationally.
• Work closely with the Director, the Director of External Affairs and the Board of Trustees to determine the fund-raising objectives for Ballroom Marfa and implement short- and long-term strategies to increase philanthropic support for Ballroom Marfa from all sectors; systematically grow the funding base and introduce new fundraising opportunities that are a unique reflection of Ballroom Marfa.
• Strategically develop, implement and grow a strong membership program to establish a base of annual support, and in recognition of the multiple audiences served by Ballroom Marfa; inclusive of acquisition program, renewal systems, cultivation and stewardship; ensure maximum conversion of visitors to donors.
• Develop a major donor program that acts as a pipeline for Trustee development, capital and planned gifts, and prepare for a future capital and endowment fundraising effort for the newest initiative, The Drive-In at the Ballroom.
• Work in coordination with the Director and the Board to facilitate strong relations with external constituencies including major donors, corporate, foundation and government partners.
• Develop and maintain fundraising schedules, objectives, database and tracking systems; ensure that plans are implemented, goals achieved and timely reports generated.
• Manage special events, donor cultivation events and fundraising gala events.
• Travel periodically to New York and other venues, as appropriate.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Position Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred, with minimum of 8 years experience in non-profit organization(s), specifically arts management.
• Proven experience in the fundamentals of development operations and programming including major giving, membership, annual giving, proposal writing, foundation and corporate relations, and special events.
• Record of measurable results in building a development operation and managing a team.
• Knowledge and understanding of the national art funding arena specifically New York, LA, Chicago and the funding community in Texas is desirable.
• Previous experience with volunteer boards or committees.
• Ability to work independently with exceptional attention to detail while keeping focused on the longer-term goals.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially as it relates to developing pitch letters, marketing collateral materials, and funding proposals.
• Experience with data based fundraising systems.
• Flexibility to be able to attend evening events and when necessary to travel.
• Excellent organizational and prioritization skills, with the ability to balance multiple issues and projects in a fast-paced environment.
Candidates should please submit a cover letter, resume, references and salary requirements to Melissa McDonnell Melissa@ballroommarfa.org and place “Director of Development” in subject line.
This ad has been viewed 231 times