Houston Endowment: Vice President For Programs
HOUSTON ENDOWMENT: A Philanthropy Endowed by Jesse H. and Mary Gibbs Jones
January 2, 2013
Position Description – Vice President For Programs
Houston Endowment is a private foundation that supports charitable organizations and activities in the greater Houston area. Created in 1937 by Jesse H. and Mary Gibbs Jones, the $1.5 billion foundation is one of the largest in Texas, with an annual grant budget of about $75 million.
Priorities in the foundation’s ﬁve program areas include:
• Arts & Culture — artistic achievement, cultural knowledge and bringing activities in arts and culture to all people in greater Houston.
• Education — initiatives in K-12 and higher education to increase the number of students earning a post-secondary credential.
• Environment — initiatives that build toward a livable community with a healthy, sustainable environment.
• Health — initiatives to promote wellness, prevent disease and improve access to primary care, with a particular focus on greater Houston’s uninsured families.
• Human Services — eﬀorts that lead people toward lives of greater independence and fulﬁllment.
The foundation is governed by an eight member board of business and civic leaders.
The Vice President for Programs works closely with the President to develop and implement foundation strategies. The Vice President manages the foundation’s day-to-day grantmaking activities in keeping with current policies and procedures and coordinates the work of the entire program staﬀ to meet the highest standards. The Vice President develops and maintains strong relationships with peer foundations and community leaders and eﬀectively articulates foundation goals and programs.
The Vice President for Programs reports to the President.
Direct reports include eight program oﬃcers and an administrative assistant.
Other key relationships: board of directors; other members of the senior leadership environment team; key community leaders; peers at local and national foundations.
• Work closely with the President in planning, organizing and conducting the business of the foundation
• Work closely with the President to develop and implement the foundation’s program strategies
• Serve as member of senior leadership team to provide guidance on issues of importance to the foundation
• Lead the grantmaking function for the foundation
• Manage adherence to grantmaking budget throughout the year
• Serve as liaison between board and program staﬀ regarding all issues related to grantmaking
• Supervise the Jones Scholarship Program for graduating Harris County high school seniors
• Oversee and encourage professional development for program staﬀ
• Maintain meaningful presence in the community, building relationships with key community leaders and representing the foundation at meetings and events
• Perform other responsibilities for the foundation as needed
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
• Unquestioned integrity and excellent judgment
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Strong planning, administrative and organizational skills
• Ability to analyze ﬁnancial information and assess institutional development needs
• Respect for diversity and proven ability to work with diverse groups of people
• Thorough understanding and appreciation for Houston Endowment’s philanthropic heritage
• High level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity with ability to analyze complex situations
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong sense of accountability
• Strong manager of people with commitment to developing and empowering others
Minimum Experience And Education
• Bachelor’s degree and evidence of relevant continuing professional development
• At least seven years experience managing and guiding professionals in a team environment
• At least ﬁve years management level experience in the charitable sector; detailed understanding of the sector as well as nonproﬁt governance
• A strong knowledge of the Houston community is considered an asset, but non-Houston candidates with signiﬁcant relevant experience will be considered
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent beneﬁts.
Send resume to: Deborah Bessire
Human Resources Manager
Houston Endowment Inc.
600 Travis Street, Suite 6400
Houston, TX 77002
713 238 8128
713 632 6128 fax
This ad has been viewed 542 times