Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner is asking the City to look into getting rid of the monument to the “Spirit of the Confederacy” in Houston’s Sam Houston Park, erected in 1908 by the Robert E. Lee chapter of the national United Daughters of the Confederacy, reports the Houston Chronicle.
To view images of other local Confederate monuments, check out the Chronicle article.
also by Paula Newton
- MFAH: New Position, New Curator - September 21st, 2017
- Bastrop Art Center Near Completion - September 20th, 2017
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017
- French Artist Installs Huge Mural on the Mexican Border - September 15th, 2017