For the past few days, the Asia Society Texas center in Houston has been hosting Tibetan Monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery who have been constructing a mandala made out of sand. This has come to be a yearly occurrence — the Asia Society hosted monks from the monastery both in 2016 and 2015. The process of creating the intricate sand painting is remarkable: the monks use chakpur, or shaped metal funnels, to lay down small numbers of sand grains at a time. See below for a list of events at the Asia Society this weekend.
Saturday, August 12
10AM-7PM: Mandala on view
12PM-4PM: Help create a community mandala and learn how to use the chakpur
7PM: A ticketed music and dance performance
Sunday, August 13
10AM: Asia Society opens and mandala is on view
3PM: Closing ceremony featuring the dismantling of the mandala
For more details, please go here.
also by Glasstire
- Derek Jeter Wants to Kill Red Grooms' Baseball Installation - August 20th, 2017
- Entire White House Arts Committee Resigns in Protest - August 18th, 2017
- Blanton Gifted Set of Leon Polk Smith Paintings and Drawings - August 17th, 2017
- Top Five: August 17, 2017 - August 16th, 2017
- The Tom of Finland Movie - August 16th, 2017