For the past few days, the Asia Society Texas center in Houston has been hosting Tibetan Monks from the Drepung Loseling Monastery who have been constructing a mandala made out of sand. This has come to be a yearly occurrence — the Asia Society hosted monks from the monastery both in 2016 and 2015. The process of creating the intricate sand painting is remarkable: the monks use chakpur, or shaped metal funnels, to lay down small numbers of sand grains at a time. See below for a list of events at the Asia Society this weekend.
Saturday, August 12
10AM-7PM: Mandala on view
12PM-4PM: Help create a community mandala and learn how to use the chakpur
7PM: A ticketed music and dance performance
Sunday, August 13
10AM: Asia Society opens and mandala is on view
3PM: Closing ceremony featuring the dismantling of the mandala
For more details, please go here.
also by Glasstire
- Rockport Center for the Arts Announces 11th Annual Rockport Film Festival - October 21st, 2017
- Houston's Zoya Tommy Gallery to Close - October 21st, 2017
- A Residency for Artists Affected by This Year's Hurricanes - October 21st, 2017
- Voertman's Bookstore Owner Gifts $10 Million to UNT Arts - October 20th, 2017
- Donald Trump's Renoir Painting is a Fake - October 19th, 2017