Today, the Marfa-based Chinati Foundation announced that the 2017 Chinati Weekend will take place Friday, October 6 to Sunday, October 8. Like past years, the weekend will feature open viewings of Chinati’s grounds and of the Judd Foundation’s buildings, along with exhibitions all over town of works by local, national, and international artists. This year’s festivities include the opening of a special exhibition featuring a new artwork by Op art pioneer Bridget Riley.
The weekend will also feature a performance by Solange Knowles. The musician and performance artist has popped up frequently in the art world this year: in May, she presented a performance art piece at New York’s Guggenheim Museum, and before that, Solange presented Scales, a visual interpretation of her latest album A Seat at the Table, at Houston’s Menil Collection. As an additional connection to Marfa, Solange’s art book/album companion publication called A Seat at the Table is currently available at the Marfa Book Company.
also by Glasstire
- City of Houston Wants Artists for its New Residency - July 21st, 2017
- Glasstire Top Five: July 20, 2017 - July 20th, 2017
- Another Costume Contest at the DMA: This One is Lady Gaga - July 19th, 2017
- "Don't pretend that you're not proud of your work." - July 19th, 2017
- Christina Rees Wins $50,000 Rabkin Prize for Arts Writers - July 17th, 2017