A group called Creative Waco partnered with two State Representatives to host a juried art exhibition featuring artwork by 52 artists from Waco and McLennan County, reports Waco’s KWTX. Waco 52 was on display in the Texas State Capitol in Austin in May and will come to Waco in July. Jurors Martha Peters, vice president of public art for Fort Worth, and Sarah Derrick, director of education and learning for Dundee Contemporary Arts in Scotland, selected 52 works out of 250 submissions (apparently a lot of artists live in the Waco area!) from artists living and working in Waco and McLennan County.
If you missed the Austin show and can’t make it to Waco, don’t worry. The 52 artworks have also been made into a set of playing cards (“an exhibition in the palm of your hand!”) that are available in selected Waco stores and online for $19.99. The proceeds will support new arts initiatives in Waco and McLennan County.
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017