“This and That” is an occasional series of paired observations. -Ed.
Today: House Paint
…which brings to mind Mel Ziegler and the late Kate Ericson’s 1991 project, Camouflage House, which incorporated the 72 colors approved by the Charleston, SC zoning board:
Both projects involved historical houses in old American cities, both ruffled some local feathers, and both were returned to their original staid white after the artistic intervention for which they will be most remembered.
No matter how original, innovative or crazy your idea, someone else is also working on that idea. Furthermore, they are using notation very similar to yours. – Bruce J. MacLennan
also by Glasstire
- Art Dirt 5: Celebrities Doing Performance Art + Artists and Gentrification - May 28th, 2017
- No More Free Parking at the MFAH - May 28th, 2017
- This and That: Sol Lewitt at Rice Gallery / a Wall at UH - May 27th, 2017
- Chad Dawkins Hired as Director of Exhibitions at Southwest School of Art - May 27th, 2017
- 300 Years of American Prints Opens This Sunday at the DMA - May 26th, 2017