In the fall of 2016, over 20 artists completed a huge mural project as part of the Capitol Theater Street Art Competition held in conjunction with the Brownsville Latin Jazz Festival. Last month, the mural was marked with black ink and sprayed with mustard. Volunteers clean up the vandalism, but the defacing continues with deep scratches, marks of “NY NY,” and “hateful words” mostly across the depicted faces, reports the Brownsville Herald.
According to NBCDFW, they will keep cleaning up the mural for as long as it takes. The president of the Brownsville Society for the Performing Arts says he hopes to add lighting and security cameras to catch the vandals.
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Artists: Learn How to Get Money, or Put Your 2¢ In - March 29th, 2017
- Outsider Artsmarter Working From the Inside - March 28th, 2017
- Finally! News for Cats - March 27th, 2017
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017