Christina Rees and Brandon Zech on giving your eyes a rest with some good painting, a retrospective of a deserving artist, and making a trip up into the Panhandle.
1. Celebrating 20 Years of Art
The Louise Hopkins Underwood Center For The Arts (Lubbock)
February 3 – March 25
A group exhibition celebrating LHUCA’s 20th Anniversary. The show features over 100 artists. To see participating artists, go here.
2.1. Ángel Rodríguez-Díaz: El Mero Chile / The Full Monty & Nueva York – San Antonio
Fl!ght Gallery (San Antonio)
February 2 – March 3
Read our profile on Ángel Rodríguez-Díaz here.
Two shows of early works by Ángel Rodríguez-Díaz. El Mero Chile / The Full Monty showcases paintings of male subjects Rodríguez-Díaz created in New York from 1983 to 1992, and Nueva York – San Antonio is a show of recently discovered paintings by the artist.
2.2. Ángel Rodríguez-Díaz: A Retrospective, 1982-2014
Centro de Artes (San Antonio)
February 9 – June 11
Opening February 9, 6-9PM
An exhibition featuring nearly sixty works spanning the breadth of Ángel Rodríguez-Díaz’s career.
An exhibition of video works by Austin-based artist Liz Rodda. The pieces in the show source clips from YouTube and introduce voice-overs that attempt to “reframe the images presented on screen.”
A two-day program of films by Bruce Conner. Many of Conner’s films use spliced-together B-movies and newsreels to create cultural critiques. This program is in conjunction with the Menil Collection’s exhibition Holy Barbarians: Beat Culture on the West Coast.
5. Ross Bleckner: Find a peaceful place where you can make plans for the future.
January 14 – March 12
An exhibition of works by Ross Bleckner. The show is curated by Peter Doroshenko.
also by Glasstire
- Marfa Myths Festival Returns in 2018 - November 19th, 2017
- DMA Curator Gavin Delahunty Resigns Over Allegations of "inappropriate behavior" - November 18th, 2017
- Pump Project: The Latest Casualty of Austin's East Side Boom - November 18th, 2017
- DiverseWorks' Rachel Cook Leaving Houston for Seattle's On the Boards - November 17th, 2017
- $10 Tintype of Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett May Be Worth Millions - November 16th, 2017