Amy Poehler and Brooke Posch’s Paper Kite Productions has acquired the movie rights to the upcoming Jennifer Mathieu young adult novel “Moxie,” reports Variety. Mathieu, who lives in Houston and teaches English at Bellaire High School, was pretty excited when she received the call from Paper Kite and it was Amy Poehler on the line.
“I won’t lie—I cried,” Mathieu told the Houston Chronicle. “Not on the phone—I kept it together—but I cried after the phone call. She is such an idol of mine.” Poehler, she said, is “to me, a model of what it means to be a strong, smart creative woman who stands up for other women.”
“Moxie” is about a Texas teen who, inspired by stories of her mom’s Riot Grrrl youth back in the ’90s, starts producing a zine and sparks a feminist revolution at her school. The novel will be published September 19, 2017.
also by Paula Newton
- Post-Harvey Update: Rockport’s Birds and Rockport's Art - October 22nd, 2017
- Too Many Performance Art Choices in Austin - October 20th, 2017
- UT’s Ransom Center Has a New Art Curator - October 19th, 2017
- Dancers do Degas - October 18th, 2017
- The Obamas Choose Their Official Portraitists - October 17th, 2017