The Texas Medal of Arts Awards has announced 13 honorees for 2017. Since its inception in 2001 by the Texas Cultural Trust, the biennial Awards have awarded 99 medals to 105 Texas “leaders and luminaries who have achieved greatness through their creative talents, as well as those whose generosity has opened doors to artistic opportunity for Texans of all ages.”
The honorees include Dallas architect Frank Welch, San Antonio journalist, filmmaker, and poet John Phillip Santos, and installation artist Leo Villareal, who was raised in El Paso. Villareal’s great-grandparents were one of the first families in Marfa, where the artist spends part of the year.
The ceremony will take place in Austin February 21-22. The Awards has a reputation for being a star-studded event, so other honorees include Kenny Rogers, Jaclyn Smith, Kris Kristofferson, among others. For the full list, go here.
also by Paula Newton
- Retooled S.A. Foundation Looking to Give $ to Local Artists - November 21st, 2017
- U.S. Tax Reform Does Not Look Good for the Arts - November 20th, 2017
- Support Artists for the Holidays - November 17th, 2017
- Lost Leonardo da Vinci Painting Breaks All Art Auction Records. By Far. - November 16th, 2017
- S.A. Artists Receive $25K Joan Mitchell Grants - November 15th, 2017