Two days ago (on Friday the 13th), Rice University students and staff discovered that both a mural and a memorial on campus had been vandalized.
The mural, which had been fastened to the side of shipping containers near Rice’s new Moody Center for the Arts, had been spray painted with the words “#DeportSpanos” and “TRUMP BABY!” By Friday afternoon, the vandalized artwork was removed, reports the Houston Chronicle.
Rice’s piece of the Berlin Wall, which was installed on the university’s campus in 2000, was also defaced with graffiti reading “Aloha!” and “Trump 2016.” The section of the wall originally had graffiti that was painted before it was torn down in 1989. Rice’s senior media director, B.J. Almond, said that the university plans to cover the Berlin Wall “until a professional art conservator can come to remove the newly added graffiti.”
also by Glasstire
- Affordable Housing for Artists in Dallas Arts District Gets a YES - March 23rd, 2017
- Top Five: March 23, 2017 - March 23rd, 2017
- Here are your next Emojis! (T-Rex and Breastfeeding included) - March 22nd, 2017
- Something to Watch: Weekly Sculpture Poems from Elaine Bradford & Sara Cress - March 22nd, 2017
- Dallas Arts Month is Now an Official Thing - March 22nd, 2017