A few days ago we reported that Austin artist and UT Austin Associate Professor of Art Beili Liu had been awarded a Joan Mitchell Foundation grant in the Foundation’s latest round of national gifts (she won one of the 25 grants of $25,000 for Painters & Sculptors).
It turns out San Antonio artist Mari Hernandez also received a Mitchell grant, this under the 2016 Emerging Artist Grant Pilot Program. Hernandez was among ten national recipients of this award, which “will provide each artist with an unrestricted grant of $12,000 each and professional support.”
Hernandez is a founder of the artist collective Más Rudas and a graduate of The University of Texas at San Antonio. Her work most recently appeared in the acclaimed exhibition SATX/MX: Un Viaje Lleno de Cultura (A Journey Rich with Culture) at Centro de Artes in San Antonio. You can read about that here.
also by Glasstire
- San Antonio DACA Art Student Detained by Immigration Officials - February 19th, 2017
- February 18: Artists Talks in Houston & 20+ Openings in Dallas - February 18th, 2017
- Michael Peranteau to Step Down from Art League Houston - February 17th, 2017
- A $2 Million Gift for Upcoming Museum in Dallas - February 16th, 2017
- Top Five: February 16, 2017 with Ana Fernandez - February 16th, 2017