Today marks the 41st anniversary of Fluxus artist Ken Friedman’s performance work In One Year and Out the Other. The score for the piece is below:
On New Year’s Eve, make a telephone call from one time zone to another to conduct a conversation between people located in different years.
The work was first performed on NYE in 1975 when Friedman, located in Springfield, Ohio, called forward from 1975 to Dick Higgins, Nam June Paik, Peter Frank, Christo and Jeanne-Claude in 1976 New York. Then, after midnight, he called back from 1976 to Tom Garver, Natasha Nicholson, and Abraham Friedman in 1975 in California.
Nowadays, with texting, email, and social media, there are a number of variations on Friedman’s piece. And, subsequently, there are a number of people who participate without knowing that they are doing so. So call a loved one tonight and tell them they are doing performance art!
also by Glasstire
- Houston: the Bayou City Art Festival is Back - March 25th, 2017
- $370K! Houston Announces its 2017 Artist Grant Recipients - March 24th, 2017
- Affordable Housing for Artists in Dallas Arts District Gets a YES - March 23rd, 2017
- Top Five: March 23, 2017 - March 23rd, 2017
- Here are your next Emojis! (T-Rex and Breastfeeding included) - March 22nd, 2017