The holiday art buying season reaches its climax this weekend with some one-stop-shopping chances to support Houston’s creative community and get some well-made objects in the process. Events coming up this weekend include:
Saturday, December 10
Super Fantasy Mercado: Houston Edition: Dallas’ Super Fantasy Mercado is on the road and will have a pop-up shop on view at TOMO Mags in Houston. Our picks to check out: Brent Ozaeta and Mario Sanchez.
DesignCraft 2016 is happening from 10AM-4PM in Houston’s Market Square Park. The festival is hosted by AIGA Houston and is in its seventh year. Our picks to check out: UH Graphic Design, Guerra Girl, and Fuzzy Grapefruit.
U N D E R 1 0 0 Holiday Mart is happening at Alexrad from 1PM-5PM. Artists in this shop have some experience under their belt: both Claire Webb and Dennis Nance and James Hays were in the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s Texas Design Now exhibition last year.
The galleries within Isabella Court are hosting a Holiday Open House featuring inexpensively priced art along with an artist talk from Jamal Cyrus at Inman Gallery (1PM) and a pop-up jewelry show at Capsule Gallery.
At 2PM, Cindy Lisica Gallery is hosting an exhibition walkthrough with UH professor Sandra Zalman. The gallery will also offer a pop-up shop featuring all of the pop art merchandise you could ever want.
Sunday, December 11
If you still haven’t had your market fix for the weekend, stop by Craftidote from 12PM-5PM. Some of our picks for this one include Elaine Bradford, Emily Link, and Hello Lucky.
also by Glasstire
- Houston Gallerist Lloyd Gite is Bringing Cuban Art to Texas - January 23rd, 2017
- Craft Artists: Houston's Center for Contemporary Craft Wants You! - January 22nd, 2017
- Today, January 21: a Concert in Houston & Butt Prints in San Antonio - January 21st, 2017
- Trump Plans to (quickly) Kill the National Endowment for the Arts (and of course most other cultural programs) - January 19th, 2017
- Top Five: January 19, 2017 - January 19th, 2017